Saturday, January 1, 2011

Photos of Northern California

...

In response to a flood of requests, I will publish more photos from The northern most point of my recent photo safari.  Have mercy.  It was rainy, cloudy and cold the whole time.  Since I left, I hear it's only gotten worse - or better - depending on your outlook.  You may click on the photos up to 2 times for larger images.




The conifer forest stood all around me.  I was surrounded by Ents, for all I knew.  I tried to appear respectful and unequipped with an axe.  Easy enough.  I felt a sense of awe looking up at these giants appearing out of the mist and I had no axe. [Whew]



The cabin at left seemed uninviting as well as unoccupied.  The posters on the gate posts proclaim "No Trespassing, Dag Nabbit!"

Okay, I paraphrased a little, but you get the idea.


The clouds hung low over the earth.  The mountains are considerable, meeting the mists half way between earth and sky.

It is impossible to determine the age of these places.  A few years of cool rain and heavy shade help moss establish a foothold on slow pedestrians.  I bet this place has seen 50 winters, at least.  I try to imagine how it might appear with warm light in the windows and snow falling outdoors. It must have been a happy place at least once.

Mountain Stream

The highway runs alongside the stream below.  You can follow the water, but you'll never catch it.  It has a 10,000 year head start.


It was past sundown when I arrived in Fortuna, CA.  The local motel, a Best Western, did a good job of providing me a hot shower and good bed for the night.  I also got to do laundry.  Finally, a little glamour in the trip!


Once I reached the Shoreline Highway, aka CA-1, aka "The Twisted Highway of Death"  I had an uninterrupted view of the vast pacific. The sky was gray as was the water. Winds were calm. A light mist or rain fell here and there.  It was a romantic setting, but not so easy for photographs, except maybe black and white...

The tree is probably 120 feet tall.  It has a great view of the sea and I found it therapeutic to simply stare at it for awhile.  It seems far too frail to withstand the storms that pass this way.  Yet, there it is, gracing the hillside like one of those elegant Japanese silk paintings.








I hope you enjoyed the pics.  I am sorry to be slow getting these out, but the holidays...  Well, you know.

Happy 2011!

8 comments:

  1. The only thing that would make these photos better would be more specific info about where you shot them. Some of the locations look familiar, especially the motel in Fortuna! BR

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...
    I cannot provide GPS coordinates, but I can tell you it was all on 101/1 southbound from Fortuna. The forest and river are inland in the mountains. The tall tree and rock-in-the-sea are on the Shoreline Highway, CA-1.

    You might want to emphasize THE motel in Fortuna...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are quite the photog. I love these.
    You, sir, have an eye.


    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something inspirational about that wisp of a tree in the last picture, isn't there?

    Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ABSOLUTELY beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, E. I do have one eye and try to make the best of it. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures Hank.

    I long for adventures in forests and hills like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...
    Eric - So do I.

    There were a surprising number of gardeners hiking up the mountains with no visible destination. They carried garden tools and looked over their shoulders frequently.

    May be worth another post, at least!
    ...

    ReplyDelete