Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Few Final Pictures

I was rummaging about in my wild west photo safari collection over the weekend and thought I might publish a few more pics, just to see how I (and others) received them.  Sometimes, ya just have to step back and look at a picture from a distance - in space and time.  So, here goes:



Cabin on the high plains
 The tiny cabin with windmill floats on an ocean of west Texas prairie.  There are no other structures in sight.  Ageless, there's no telling when it was built, but I estimate it is pushing a century of years.  On the good side, the nearest roadway is half a mile away, so the kids could play outdoors without fear of traffic. On the downside, the nearest rattlesnake was probably under the house.
Ssssssssssssssssssss!


Twin Peaks, AZ






These twin peaks are located somewhere in Arizona.  I think they can be seen from western New Mexico since they have little competition in altitude and uniqueness.  It is nigh impossible to get a good picture of a mountain.  The massive scale is often lost in translation. Still I make the effort.  Maybe one day...




Derelict Cabin
 The cabin at right won the "Most Hopeless" award for nothern California.   I would be surprised if it survived the heavy rain and snow that showed up right after I left. (Darn!)  This one was on 101/1 before reaching the Shoreline Highway, I think.

Twisty Highway in the Forest



This picture is representative of the winding forest highway inland from the coast.  Note the absence of shoulders on the road.  Note the blur of scenery as I shot through the windshield.  Sigh.  I still like it, but it may never be sold.  Maybe I can find a show for folks with naturally blurry vision?

4 comments:

  1. Love the snake comment!

    The last picture has more meaning for me after riding with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck, this stretch was string straight compared with the Shoreline Highway section.

    I shall assume you enjoyed the ride. Heh, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sad little cabin. Who lived there? Why?
    Oh, what tales it could tell. If only walls
    could talk...

    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, they look poor now, but it comes to us all, eventually. I bet there were high times with gifts and wonders in every one of these places. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete