Monday, January 24, 2011

Life's Lessons Applied

...
First, I am not doing any more hilarious news stories. Apparently, my readership does not fully appreciate my gifts in this area. Okay, maybe in the far, distant future I might attempt it, if someone begs me. Most of you will probably feel relief instead of the guilt you deserve.  Harumpf!


 --------------------------------------------------------------------------


As many of you know, I recently hosted my son’s dog, Remus, for two action-packed weeks. In the past, Remus seemed disappointed and depressed when abandoned in my care. This time was different. All I had to do was spend my every waking moment doing stuff to entertain a dog. Outdoor exploration was her second favorite. Pooping in my office was third. I believe first place was playing with her cousins from my daughter’s family. When Remus is happy, everyone can tell by her wagging tail and her broad smile.

Tomorrow, I face a similar test. This time, Sophia, my 3-5/6 year-old granddaughter will spend the day with me. Normally, I would fret over entertainments, treats and activities. This time, I believe I have a sure-fire plan. Some may recognize a few elements I picked up from my time with Remus. Here it is:

First, we will breakfast on Rice Chex. My pantry is the only place in our family where this treat exists.

Next, weather permitting; we shall pay outdoors for a while. I will let her have plenty of time to sniff about among the trees and shrubs. Since Santa brought her a new baseball glove for Christmas, I will remind my daughter to bring it with her. This is the equivalent of fetching a stick with Remus. Sophia probably cannot catch a ball yet, but then Remus just looks at me as if I stepped off a flying saucer when I throw the stick for her. Still, I think they both enjoy it.

If the weather is inclement, I believe we can substitute shopping at a large toy store for the outdoor part.  Same thrill.  Different species.

At lunch, we will dine out. Mickey D’s is a possibility. “Memphis Red Hot ‘n Blue Bar-B-Q” is another. Either way, at least one of us will get a “Happy Meal.”

Then, for the grand finally, we shall travel to my son’s house to visit Remus. I know the girl and the dog will be more than happy to see each other. We will play there until our welcome has worn out or somebody needs a nap. That will be me, most likely.

I reserved the later afternoon for coloring, watching educational TV or possibly taking in a matinee, time and movie fare permitting.

The best part is this: Sophia is fully potty trained. There is less than a 1% chance that anyone will poop in my office!

I shall let you know how it turns out.

9 comments:

  1. If this works out, who knows, you may have
    a future career in the day care biz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have managed to happily merge the two techniques of child and pet watching! Congrats!! A "white peper" will be forthcoming??

    -RK

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems as if I already have a career in day and longer-term care. Does it still count as a career if you get paid when you get to Heaven, if any?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on an advanced technique. It involves having the dogs watch the children. I need to find a few trained sentry gogs to get started. Could be a bonanza!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll let the "gogs" slide if you'll allow a "white peper" to go through as a "white paper". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, but I was almost finished with the white peper. Now, I'll have to start over. Could be a while...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love reading your blog. You should be writing a column for a newspaper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The biggest laugh I ever got came right after I made that same suggestion to an editor at The Dallas Morning News, aka The Morning Snooze.

    ReplyDelete