Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tis the Season

...

First, let me say my mother is showing signs of recovery. The rehab center took her off physical and occupational therapy weeks ago. She simply was not fit enough to benefit. Now, they are considering putting her back on.

Her improvement baffles medical science, but not me. During my recent visits, I have adopted the policy of smuggling rich chocolate malteds into her room. She sucks them down as Manna from Heaven, which is practically true.

Since I began, she has recovered her voice (a mixed blessing if ever there was one); she has recovered the use of her left arm and her ability to swallow seems healed – at least during the malt slurping periods.

Next week the therapy staff will reevaluate her abilities and make a judgment on her fitness. Meanwhile, I will be pushing the calories… Heh, heh.



The surprise of the week came from my son. He showed this morning up on a new BMW motorcycle. His lacks a few accessories I consider necessary for real touring, but that can be fixed with the application of $$$. Okay, maybe $,$$$.

For those of you interested in such things, the bike is an 800 cc water-cooled twin cylinder. It is very handsome, handles well (runs like a scalded dog and stops as if it hit a wall.) Ben says he was surprised to find motorcycles could also turn – a feature largely missing on his “old” bike.

To my surprise, it was not expensive as BMW stuff goes. You know, the key fob for $395.00, retail.

So, for you lot who bemoan your inability to hit the road, I suggest you take a look at one of these puppies, provided your wife or girlfriend will allow it. You know who you are.

...

4 comments:

  1. For one of those I would have to get permission from my wife AND girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your mother's improving health.
    As far as the motorcycle goes, give me a REAL
    Beemer complete with the latest sound system,
    seat coolers, and gps. I guarantee, it will
    "turn" too. And, I only have to give myself
    permission. I know who I am. xxxooo No, I am
    not being snarky. It is just the fact that the
    one time I actually drove a motorcycle, it
    wasn't pretty. I almost crushed my left foot,
    and missed a wayward dog by inches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems as if even you had a more exciting ride on the motorcycle! In the car, you simply listen to classical music as you bend around hairpin turns on the shoreline highway. Either way, you sip an adult beverage at the end of the day and share tales of derring do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also am glad your mom is improving. About you guys and your motorcycles I have one thing to say..."Girls, take out lots of insurance".

    ReplyDelete