Monday, February 28, 2011

Goin’ Up to the Spirit in the Sky



Friday, I got a call saying mother was not doing well. I jumped back in the car (I think it was still warm.)  and sped to Granbury. Meanwhile, the rehab center rushed her back to the hospital, where they performed the customary CAT scan, blood tests and reported as follows when I arrived. “Your mother has had another stroke. She is suffering from kidney failure, dehydration and sepsis. Her blood pressure was near single digits.  We cannot treat the kidney failure here, so we will send her to Ft. Worth.”

After waiting another hour, the ambulance had not showed up. The smart and cute woman doctor in charge of the ER said, “We’ve waited as long as we can. Get the helicopter… “

“WHAT? You mean to tell me my 87 year-old mother is getting to ride in a helicopter?”

“Yes,” she replied.

“I suppose you will insist I go with her, just to keep her calm, eh?”

“No, we insist you drive carefully to the new hospital. Your mother will meet you there.”

“$%^&*(O,” I thought to myself. I returned to the room to break the news to my mother.

In the darkened room, my mom reached up and laid her hand on my shoulder. I was shaking as I bent over her bed, resting my arms on the rail at her side. (I could not stop laughing.)

She spoke in a weak whisper. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing is wrong, I replied. It is just that at 87 you are going for your first helicopter ride. I let a little jealousy slop over into my voice.

I cast my glance aside toward her face. She looked utterly shocked.

“On the good side, I got the doctor to agree to let you fly the last little bit of the trip.”

A wide grin covered her gaunt face. She closed her eyes and rested her head on the pillow, still smiling.

“I’ll see you in Ft. worth soon, Mom. Remember, I love you.”

“I love you too,” she whispered.

I walked out of the room and toward the parking lot. On the way, I passed a tall stranger carrying a flight helmet. He was muscular and bald, but sported a brush of red hair on his face.

“You the pilot,” I asked.

“Yup. What can I do for you?”

I told him “You can be extra careful and fast. Your passenger is my mother.

“Will do, sir.”

He and I turned and went our ways. After I fetched my jalopy from the lot, I saw him doing his pre-flight inspection. I was pleased to see him concentrating on his work.

Somehow, I knew this part of the adventure would work out all right. I drove back to Dallas. I was limp as a rag when I arrived home.

Then the phone rang. It was the Ft. Worth hospital. My mother arrived in good order and they were bedding her down in a critical care unit. I was free to sleep the sleep of the just for one night.

Tomorrow could wait.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update Hank; if you need anything please let me know.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautifully written. I hope your
    mother enjoyed her plane ride...she certainly
    has handed down a sense of humor to you, and
    has retained her own smile. Precious. And
    hugs and prayers coming her (and your) way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone. We seem to have what is needed for this separation. I shall see that she does not suffer or face her mortality alone.

    In time, we all got it coming...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hank, your Mom is in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete