Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Weekend at Grandfather's

[Monday, Nov. 23, 2009]  My lovely daughter and her husband just left with their two delightful children. Thank goodness. I watched over the two angels since last Friday afternoon and I am completely whipped.

A few weeks ago one of my loyal readers suggested I have a “massive sleepover” for my grandchildren. Naturally, I dismissed the idea as madness. Don’t get me wrong. I love the grandchildren with all my heart. I am also fond of nights of uninterrupted sleep, violent TV programs, spicy food and adult beverages. I also enjoy intervals of silence lasting more than ten seconds. In short, all the things that are good for grandfather are anathema to the children. Imagine my surprise when I found myself agreeing to keep my daughter’s two babies over a long weekend. I found myself saying “Sure.” when I expected to say “Oh, Hell no!”

It is too late to cry over spilled milk. The children dribbled, sprayed and splashed more than a quart of the stuff about the house over the weekend. It won’t help to cry over the chicken fingers, macaroni and cheese, apples, juice, chocolate kisses, popcorn or any other foodstuff, either. They simply disappeared. The ants who come in to clean will find them, eventually.

When they arrived, a sense of excitement over the upcoming adventure filled their little hearts. “They’ve been looking forward to this all week.” Said Mommy. Looking back, maybe the parents should have brought Rhinoceros grade tranquilizer darts as part of the kit. I would have shot myself almost immediately after their departure, if only I had them available.


When it was time for mom and dad to leave, all bets were off. The sense of adventure vanished and a sense of abandonment and terror set in. I have seldom heard such wailing and pleading in my life. Somehow, mom and dad bore up under the emotional assault and fled for a romantic escape to the snowy slopes of Utah. Me? I continued to wail and plead for some time after they drove away.

My daughter furnished manuals describing bedtime and other essential rituals. It said, “Bedtime is between 7:30 and 8:00 p.m.” At the appropriate time, I jammied the two urchins and brushed their tiny teeth. Then I popped them in bed where they continued howling for mommy for the next few hours. When mommy did not appear, they wept as if I murdered a puppy before their innocent little eyes. I began feeling panic and depression. At dawn, the little ones capitulated and slept the rest of the night.

“That went well.” I lied.

Ultimately, I abandoned hope and devoted myself to getting through ten-minute intervals, one after the other. My life became a predictable series of chicken strips, apple juice, clean-ups, diapers, oatmeal, lost toys, clean-ups, boo-boos, snits, spats, clean-ups, bribes, heart-warming smiles and loving hugs.

When the parents returned on Monday afternoon, I noticed some remarkable changes. First, I learned some people are born mothers and others have motherhood thrust upon them. Even though it almost [?] cost me my sanity, I became a mom (or dad), pro tempore. Even the grandchildren slipped up and called me “Mommy” or “Daddy” a couple of times. We shall disregard the other names.

Second, I am certain I shall need a vacation in the immediate future. I am thinking of snowy Utah, or perhaps Banff, Canada. In six weeks, I could be as good as new. Almost. Mothers are certainly made of stern stuff.

Eva, how can I ever repay you?

5 comments:

  1. The nice thing about being the age we are is that before too long you will remember this as a wonderful weekend with the GKs. And the GKs will remember how much fun they had with Gramps. But in the short term it is essential that the mother and father know how much you suffered for their fun. Otherwise a good opportunity will have been lost. This should also be a good lesson NOT to listen to Eva!!! BR

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good grandpa you are Hank. I know underneath all those rumblings, you had a wonderful time, as I always do with my babies. However...........aint none of us getting any younger, and I do feel your pain...........BELIEVE ME!!!!!
    SM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...at least you can give 'em back after a
    time! Eh? Happy Thanksgiving!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving Holiday! [urp] I am particularly happy to hear from Eva who was MIA for awhile. Yes, I was able to return the children to their real parents. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondeful, Wonderful, Wonderful. Both your writings, and your photography. I've enjoyed them so much. So glad you used the Jose Cuervo recipe. My kind of Christmas recipe!! Keep up the good work my friend.
    Sandy McKee

    ReplyDelete