Monday, November 30, 2009

H1N1: A Preview of Federal Healthcare Reform.

I will do my best to avoid being tiresome about this.

I fear the recent flap over the H1N1 virus provides an early sample of federal healthcare reform. Even though we have a new administration and a new majority in both houses of Congress, the H1N1 epidemic looks more like the aftermath of Katrina than an efficient response to a public health problem. Just check out the news reports showing frightened mothers standing in long lines only to be turned away at the end of the day.

We are lucky the virus was no more lethal than it was. The government response, as promoted by the national media, created widespread fear, shortages of vaccine and resulted in the disappointment of the entire population.

Now that the virus is in retreat, I am sure spin-doctors will claim success for their points-of-view. I believe there are many Americans who recognize the government’s role for what it was, a magnifier of fear and deliverer of despair.

The federal management of H1N1 provides one more reason to dread federal healthcare reform.

3 comments:

  1. Does the private company that creates and distributes the vaccine not play a major role in the H1N1 vaccine not being delivered?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some argue except for interference by the feds, there would be more companies producing vaccine faster and of course, cheaper.

    Personally, I am skeptical of all things government. In my view, corporations don't win any prizes for enlightenment, either.

    I suppose there is enough fault to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said.... I also enjoyed the tiger blog...

    ReplyDelete