Thursday, August 4, 2011

The End of All Things

... 

Don’t worry.  Be happy!

As I sit here typing, I can hear the financial experts on CNBC discussing the stock market.  I should mention it is 2:00pm CDT and the Dow Industrials are in line to fall 400 points today.  Even gold is down $50 per ounce.  I can hear the stress in those knowledgeable voices.  In their own way, they are all saying the same thing: “EEeekk!”

Okay, I will admit a few things are wrong with the economy.

First, the US has a $60 trillion unfunded liability for various pension and health programs.  Second, the US Congress recently demonstrated that as petty and mean-spirited as they are, they cannot cut a single dollar from their spending addiction.
Next, 20 million or so folks are out of work or under worked.  The lucky employed are largely paid on a par with workers in India or Russia.  That is not good.

Then, there is Europe.  Specifically, the European Union, sometimes called the “EU” (Rhymes with “Pee Euw”) is falling apart and they have no central bank or printing press to save them.  Soon, most of Europe could return to the dark ages.

The US has trouble and may not fare much better than Italy or Ireland when push comes to shove.

I am not worried.  Why?  I am not concerned because the US Congress is on vacation for five glorious weeks.  I plan to relax; sun bathe (10 minutes at a time, y’know?) and mebbe sip a cold beer in the evening for as long as they are out of town.  Everything might blow over and get better in their absence. :)

When they return, I will begin to worry.

Until then, I suggest everyone eat, drink and make merry.  (No, not make Mary... sheesh!) The unpleasantness will be upon us soon enough!
...


5 comments:

  1. Don't sweat the small stuff. You woke up this morning. There were some folks who didn't. Of course that may have been a plus for the rest of us. Their estates may have contributed to the national fund via estate taxes.Also remember that someone out there probably likes you. You could be a member of congress and then what? Orlando

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty much disgusted with the whole
    Washington scene these days. What happened to the
    power and the glory of Thomas Jefferson, James
    Madison, and John Tyler? I have a project while
    they are off...learning the names of all the
    presidents. Why? For cocktail conversation, and
    to bone up should I ever be a contestant on
    Jeopardy. So far, I've memorized the first ten,
    and would like to forget the last two in this
    long list. So there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just long for the pleasant times that the 50's afforded us all......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh. In the 50s, we all had the mind of a child. In a few years, that might be true again! [duh]

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would start practicing farming so I can feed my family in the future, but it's so hot and there is no rain in sight. My dad used to say Life is a sh^t sandwich and everyday you have to take a bigger bite. Kinda gloomy, but it seems to fit more often than not.

    ReplyDelete