Monday, June 13, 2011

My Holiday Road

... 

Last year, my daughter and her hubby invited me on a family vacation.  The plan involved driving from Dallas to Branson, MO.  There, we stayed in a nice resort, saw much beautiful country and almost went mad coping with two unhappy children.  They hated riding in the car, so they tortured each other for the entire trip.  When the volume from their third row seats became unbearable, the folks in the front seat merely turned up the radio, drowning the mayhem in the far back seats.  In the middle row, I sat next to a cooler.  It was not much company, but I did not mind until a thorough search revealed not a single adult beverage in the container.  I was doomed to endure a 10-hour ride with demonic sounds fore and aft in a state of complete sobriety.  It was a glimpse of Hell.

On Saturday, last, I returned home, satisfied that we enjoyed the best possible family vacation.

This year, the vacation included some important changes.  Number one was cars.  I took mine and they drove theirs.  Second, we stayed in rooms at opposite ends of the motel.  It was mercifully quiet.  Third, Grandfather has an injured back, which bought me a pass on any heavy lifting (grandchildren).  All these changes made a large difference.  I have old friends in San Antonio and reconnected with two of the best.  I re-introduced my daughter and son-in-law and the two grandchildren.  Surprisingly, everyone behaved himself or herself.  It left me wondering what happened to my real family. 

We enjoyed authentic Tex-Mex food, great conversation and even visited the Witte Museum across the street from the restaurant.  It was a good day.

The dolphin show at Sea World was great, too.  It had elements of “Circ d’ Soleil”, a Beluga Whale, trained tropical birds and, yes, a corps of Pacific White Sided Dolphins.  The children were transfixed and I appreciated the show to the fullest.

The thing about Sea World is its size.  It is immense.  The other thing about Sea World is the heat and humidity.  By noon, the temperature was over 90 and the humidity was up there, too.  After a couple of hours, our team was completely dehydrated and on the verge of collapse.  We did the only sensible thing:  We made a desperate dash for the motel, specifically, the showers, bar and swimming pool, not necessarily in that order.  All our problems resolved.  I even got out for a quick session of sun and swim before the longish journey home.  Next time, we will go in mid-October.

Heavy use of air conditioning,   a stoked iPod and magnificent scenery eased the stress of the 5+-hour drive home.  I arrived, walked into the house and collapsed into the most delightful nap/coma I have had in years.

I believe all had a good time.

Should you ever be confronted with an opportunity to travel with family, especially small children, you may wish to reread this publication and make note of any survival tips you find.  As an alternative, watch all the National Lampoon’s “Vacation” movies – and memorize them. 

You will thank me (or Chevy Chase) later.
...

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for adding a big smile to my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandchildren are your children's revenge. As if you need a reminder of that. I didn't know there was a Sea World out there is the desolate southwest. What an awful swim that must be for the dolphins once they leave San Diego. As for the Witte Museum, I know nothing about it, but it seems like a logical place for a "witte" guy like you. Only John Greenleaf would be "Whittier". BR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seaworld is one of my favorite places. I
    grab a big Diet Coke, sit above the "splash"
    section and cry during the show. My family
    stays far enough away from me that any folks
    looking in my direction would never think we
    were related.
    As far as traveling with children...my dad
    used to say "There are two ways to travel, by
    car or with children."
    I never got that till we had our daughter
    and she boo-hooed the entire drive from San
    Diego to Huntington Beach in a rush hour jam.
    And...we had no adult beverages, no
    regular beverages, either. Just baby bottles
    full of soy milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There, there. I am sure their is some way to ferment soy milk into something drinkable.

    And my thanks to BR. We saw only a fourth of Sea World, but half of the Witte Museum. You can take it from here, BR. [ta tum!]

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference a year makes.....except in my case, of course. I am just as well-behaved as I was in my youth. Yeah, I'm not a bundle of fun on a long car trip....unless I'm sleeping. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, In order to make a long trip by auto exciting, you must drive faster. Much, much faster. I'm thinking 90, at minimum.

    Also, it doesn't hurt to play your favorite RnR or RnB music as a kind of soundtrack for the journey.

    Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vacations in Texas are meant to remind you how much you love your (air-conditioned) home! If it is already this hot in June, I am planning to find new friends in Minnesota for July and August.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am Hip, Ruthe! Wanna ride with me to Traverse Bay in upper Michigan? The temp will be about 70 on the fourth of july. I may, or may not return. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story...........we just got back from a week on Crystal Beach. Let's just say a 5-6 hour ride with 4 kids; 1 screaming the whole way was........not so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure makes "Home" and/or "Work" look good by comparison, doncha think?

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete