Friday, June 24, 2011

Heat Springs Infernal

...

I bet most people will agree with me this has been a remarkable year, so far.

Japan suffered the most unlikely tragedy when the tsunami washed over their six seaside nuclear reactors.  That was a truly serious bummer.

Next, the western half of Texas caught fire, burning more than 2 million acres of farm and ranch land.  My cousin Buddy lives in the direct path of the flames.  He had more than a few anxious moments; first attempting to evacuate by car, then being informed it was too late.  He would have to take his boat across the lake if the flames got any closer.  When I saw him before the prairie fire incident, he already had gray hair.  Now, he probably has none.  I am happy to report he, his family and his home survived.

Meanwhile, 80 miles to the east, we had flash flood warnings every day.  So, one-half of northern Texas was on fire while the other was under water.  I have seen stranger.  I just cannot remember when.

May arrived disguised as July.  The daytime high temperatures raced into the upper nineties and the upper 70s at dawn became a “balmy morning.”  June has continued apace.  During my recent trip to San Antonio, I noticed cactus plants wilting in the sun.  Hot and dry does not quite cover it.

Returning home, I found my precious lawn near death.  I watered it heavily for two days before I was content it would survive.  The very next two nights in a row, giant thunderstorms prowled our area, dumping several inches of rain on the city.  Within minutes, the lawn took off for the sky.  It was the first time in my life I hired help so I could cut it as fast as it grew.  

We are back to scorching heat and high humidity now, so everything is comparatively all right here.

Then, we have those poor souls in Arizona.  Many of the eyewitness reports come from Springerville, AZ.  I have stopped there many times on motorcycle trips.  It is a beautiful part of the state and my heart goes out to those who have lost their homes and businesses to that terrible fire.

Not everything strange has been bad.  Seal Team 6 sent Osama Bin Laden to paradise after a decade long search.  To paraphrase Forest Gump, that is one less thing we have to worry about.

Finally, I think my daughter-in-law has started an informal over/under pool on the ultimate debauching of the US currency.  She has tentatively picked September 2011.  If she is correct, or even close, she will make the Mayans and Nostradamus look like a bunch of sightless boobs.  Since negotiations between the Democrats and Republicans have broken down,   I am picking August.

As far as I am concerned, we have had plenty of excitement for one year.  Would anyone else be interested in moving this year’s end to June 30 and starting 2012 on July 1?  Let me know.

Finally, I am changing my investment strategy for my retirement years.  I plan to sell all those “iffy” paper assets and replace them with gold bullion and shotgun shells.* 

See you at Wal-Mart!  J

* [not really]


7 comments:

  1. I buy a little bit of ammo every time I buy a loaf of bread. We should go shooting sometime......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, if nothing changes, I am sure we will get our chance - probably right here in our neighborhood! Eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. IF these are indeed "the last days"...I
    say eat, drink and take the ferry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot be the last days. The gods would never let me out so easily. Still, taking the ferry sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the part about the cactus wilting in the sun. That is the way I have felt this year. Also, I will concur on the gold bullion and shotgun shells. As far as the "iffy" papers, all the papers I have are "IFFY".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, the "little" things we take for granted. I am so glad things are back to "normal" for you, Hank!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...
    I take little for granite. What could be more normal? :)
    ...

    ReplyDelete