Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Riding the Three Twisted Sisters - One

...
Guadalupe River @ Llano, TX
I posted The Twisted Sister video here, directly beneath this story. It is not quite like being there. There is no way to record the heart-in-your-throat, falling elevator exhilaration of the real thing. Still, it is pleasant and I hope you enjoy it.

After months of frustration, the time was right for another assault on the infamous “Twisted Sisters” of the Texas Hill Country. Spanning two large west Texas counties, the “Sisters” are three innocent sounding Farm Roads numbered 335, 336 and 337. My last attempt was in September, just as global wetting arrived in Texas. Somehow, I felt unprepared for these challenging roads AND torrential rains at the same time, so I wussed-out.

Tuesday, last, I saddled-up and rode south. Everything in the state was beautiful, but I will not boor you with roads already travelled. The ride was a pleasure. Two-hundred miles out, I noticed I was achieving incredible gas mileage. My gauge showed almost half a tank. “Woo Hoo!” I thought. “I am doing great.” I drove another hundred miles and checked the gauge again. It showed the same fuel level. Hmm. I began to be suspicious.

“What on Earth could be going on?” I wondered aloud. I usually receive about 40 miles per gallon, more or less, but some simple mental arithmetic suggested I was getting well over that amount. I pondered this condition until I was almost to my destination.

It was then I realized I was looking at the wrong gauge. Anxiety gripped me as I located the real fuel gauge. The “Emergency Reserve” light was blinking frantically.

“I wonder how long that’s been going on.”

Reflexively, I squeezed the handlebar grips, attempting to squeeze every inch of distance from the remaining fumes. After what seemed an hour, I arrived at the outskirts of Kerrville. The first building in town was a gasoline station. I pulled in for blessed fuel. I had covered 315 miles on 7.2 gallons. 43.75 mpg is good. It is a personal best and I hope never to improve upon it. The tank holds 7.7 gallons.

After fuelling, I checked in at the motel, washed and dressed, visited the bar and then the restaurant. The salmon was delicious. Then, it was off to bed. I had an early date with Three Twisted Sisters and I wanted to be fully alert for the meeting.

I awoke just after dawn and enjoyed breakfast at the motel. Then, I suited up and launched my assault. My first objective was Medina, home of the finest Apple pie in the region. It was there I would pick up the first sister, 337. Riding along Texas 16 southbound, I passed dozens of fellow cyclists. Almost all were riding Harley’s, but what the heck, we are all family, right? Highway 16 is an interesting ride in itself, particularly from Kerrville to Medina. There are hills, turns, and gorgeous scenery to refresh the weary spirit all along the way.

In Medina, I treated myself to an apple strudel with a glass of milk. I felt fortified against whatever the day might bring. Now, it was time to get serious. I launched onto 337, westbound for the villages of Vanderpool, Leakey and Campwood.  The video shows a bit of it.  Turn it up. ;-)
...

4 comments:

  1. This is truly incredible. Love the
    blog, the scenery, the music...the whole
    darned package. Talented? I think so.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...
    Keep this up and you will surely turn my head.
    ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flying over the remote regions of Nevada this pm, gazing at those long, straight and narrows below, made me think of a title for a potential next ride you might do in that region....."Bat out of hell".
    Then you can tell us how fast that thing really goes. Gotta get out an old 78rpm record for that speed and soundtrack :-). GW

    ReplyDelete