Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Surprising San Marcos, Texas

...

Recently, I received a message from my cousin, Suzanne.  Her email asked, politely, if I was willing to donate one of my photographs to an auction benefiting victims of domestic abuse. I had to think it over before making a decision.  I considered the expense involved in producing my photographic wonders, the years spent searching out images and the utter lack of compensation or recognition I would receive for my effort.  After weighing each of these considerations, I told Suzanne “I’m in.”
The next day, I sent her a catalog of all the images I consider fit to print and advised her to pick one she liked.  She and her daughter, Dawn, in cooperation with our first cousin once removed, Amy, selected “Moon Mountain.”  I dredged up my last print from the closet.

On the day of the auction, I threw my overnight kit and the print in the car and headed south.  San Marcos is a quaint little town about 30 miles south of Austin.  I had an uneventful three and one-half hour mosey down scenic Interstate 35, AKA the “NAFTA Super Highway from the Bowels of Hell.”  Traffic seemed light as I whizzed past everything else on the road in my rush to put Austin traffic behind me.  I made it without incident.
I arrived at Suzanne’s place, the Cool Mint Café, just in time for a gourmet lunch.  I treated myself to a plate of smoked chicken enchiladas with mango-habanero sauce.  I learned later that I ordered their most popular dish.  I could easily see why.  Refer to http://coolmintcafe.com

Suzanne
It was great to see Suzanne again.  Her long list of accomplishments would hardly fit in my measly blog and yet she is a kind person with a down-to-earth view of the world.  My own life has been a modest endeavor by comparison.  Frankly, I am surprised they let me use the good flatware at her amazing eatery.  
After my hearty lunch, I made my way to the auction event site, Dick’s Classic Garage.  It was there I made a second stunning discovery.  Here in a small town wedged into the heart of the Texas Hill Country (recently extinguished, for the most part) I discovered an excellent automotive museum. The cars and trucks were American and vintage from the 1920s through the early 1950s.  I strolled the aisles, gawping first at the Duesenbergs and ending with the last Packards and Studebakers.  I must have drooled like a little kid, because at the end of the trail, I was shriveled and dehydrated.  I would do it again, in a minute!


My delivery complete, I trundled back to my motel room and collapsed. 

One of 2 Outlet Malls serve your spending needs
On Sunday morning,  I drove around the town taking pictures to share with my devoted readers.  There are many attractions in San Marcos, not least of which are two, count 'em, two outlet malls.  Cowboy boots, pantyhose and Ferragamo shoes are among the items for sale at bargain basement prices, or so they tell me.

Downtown San Marcos on Sunday Morning
The downtown square was crowded on Sunday morning.  One of the cafes on the square attracted a large following.  I watched several couples sprint the last few hundred feet to the door as if there was a famine in the town.  Maybe their appetites were stimulated by the sermon at the local house of worship.

1878 Building - Newer Tenants

County Courthouse

























Cool Mint Cafe
I was becoming a little peckish, myself.  I made my way back to the Cool Mint and settled in for brunch with Susanne and Amy.   Over  South Texas Migas, Suzanne explained that when she first opened, they had a ghost in residence.  For months, the spirit threw glasses and plates across rooms.  The staff eventually became accustomed to the disturbances and scolded her whenever she acted up.  She, the ghost, was probably one of the two spinster sisters who built the house that now houses the Cool Mint.  Miss May is generally assumed to be the haunt.  Her sister?  I cannot recall her name, but they were both creepy, even in this life.  That is according to local lore.  I find myself charmed into believing it.

Finally, I have sad news.  Suzanne is planning to sell the cafe and retire.  To my eye, this is a serious injustice.  Retirement from a worthy enterprise while still in the first blush of youth seems wrong.  What can I say.  If she sends me copies of my favorite recipes, I shall bury my grief in a mountain of the most delicious food in Texas.  

I recommend the entire experience in San Marcos.  I only hope you can get to The Cool Mint while Suzanne is still around, just in case she sells it to someone less imaginative.

PS:  I am told the woman who won the picture left the auction early to go home and hang it in her livingroom.  She was happy.  So am I.





5 comments:

  1. Great share Hank! Wish I had some Migas this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne looks like the cat that ate the mouse(y). Thanks Hank - loved our visit. SZP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nonsense. Suzanne is an attractive woman and an accomplished human being. I had a great time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the makings for a nice motorcycle ride Hanko!

    Also, I loved that old Indian M/C.....beautiful.

    MCW

    ReplyDelete